Joe's Blog

I will be posting updates about my upcomming trip to Washington, DC. I will also be adding pictures. Check back frequently and make sure you bookmark this website.

Sunday, October 08, 2006

I Have A Dream..


"Standing on the top step of the Lincoln Memorial in the very spot where Martin Luther King Jr. made that famous speech, staring accross the water with the Washington Monument reflecting off the pool is truley an amazing site," Joe Gentry

I woke up at 5:30 a.m. this morning and was on the Metro by 605. I arrived pretty early at the Pentagon, got my garmet bagged checked in and wastched the Army Black Knights Skydive team land by the Pentagon.

You could clearly see where the plane crashed into the side of the Pentagon on 9/11. It was completly fixed but there was a clear line of color descrepency where those huge stone blocks were placed. They had a sign on a fenced off section stating Pentagon Memorial, so they must have been building it.

It was humbling seeing all the people who were running the race with pictures on the back of their shirt with a loved one and it SAID OIF (operation Iraq Freedom, KIA then a date) I saw several people with different pics on.

The race went GREAT, my GPS said I ran 10.27 miles in 1:14:58, thats 7:18 per mile avg pace. But my actual chip time will be posted latter and I think it will be under 1:14. It was perfect weather and it was cool running by all the landmarks. I am very pleased.

After the race I went to the ESPN ZONE to eat. Then walked another 5 miles, passing the FBI building, went back to the Capitol to get some good daytime pics then walked all the way down the mall to the Lincoln Memorial, then walked back to the house. I took probably 100 pics. Here are some of my best ones..enjoy.

Out of no where I ran into a girl who was in my Squad at Warrior Forge a year ago by the reflecting pool. She saw me and said "Gentry." She already got her commision and is heading to Italy, she got branched Transportation.


CLICK MY FLICKR LINK ON THE RIGHT SIDE. I JUST ADDED SOME MORE PICS ON THAT WEBSITE ALSO. ENJOY

2 Comments:

At 5:59 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow, you have had a busy weekend! Glad it's gone so well. Congrats on your time. Those are awesome pictures of DC. I can't imagine how neat it was to see all of that stuff!

Just so you know, our Tuesday class with Egan is cancelled. I guess that means you won't miss anything!

Have fun,

Sarah K.

 
At 8:49 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Favorite Grandson, glad the race went well for you. I bet you sleep well tonight after the run and all the walking. It's neat to read your impressions from all the famous places. Will be looking forward to tomorrow's happenings.
Love, G & G

 

Post a Comment

<< Home